Chairman of Council
Professor Shem Oyoo Wandiga, FRSC, D.SC.(hc)
QUALIFICATIONS: EBS, Frsc, B.Sc (Howard University), M.Sc. (Maryland), Ph.D (Reserve University)
WORK EXPERIENCE: Prof. Wandiga has a long working experience in academia, research, consultancy, administrative and advisory roles. These include in the following areas:
University of Nairobi: Professor; DVC (Administration & Finance); Principal College of Biological & Physical Science; Chair of Department Chemistry Dept.; Senior. Lecturer; Lecturer (inorganic Chemistry. Co-ordinator University Investment Project.
Chairman - Kenya National Academy of Sciences; Chairman - International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme Kenya Committee; Chairman - Constitutive Committee of African Union of Pure & Applied Chemistry and a member Kenya Chemical Society. Kenya’s Representative to UNESCO Executive Board; Expert Consultant to UNEP; Member of General of the International Council of Scientific Unions; Chairman Programme and External Relations Commissions of UNESCO Executive Board; Member World Conference on Science Case Western Reserve University & University of Maryland. Teaching Assistant Inter American University: Temporary Assistant Professor of Chemistry
He was gazetted as the Chair of the Council with effect from 8th July 2022.
Vice Chancellor, Chief Executive Officer and Secretary to the Council
Prof. Stephen Gaya Agong
Prof. Stephen Gaya Agong, BSc, MSc, (UoN), PhD (Giessen), Post Doc (Hannover; Okayama), FAAS
WORK EXPERIENCE: Professor of Horticulture with wide experience in University Management and Leadership spanning over 32 years in different Universities and International organizations. He is an academic of high standing with over 100 scientific publications in refereed journals. A fellow of the Africa Academy of Sciences and Matsume (Japan).
Academic and administrative head of the University & Secretary to the Council
Council Member and Chairperson, Technical, Academic, Research and Projects Committee
Ms. Karinge Joyce Nyakiringa
B.Ed. (KU), MBA (ANU), MSP
POSITION/KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: Chairperson, Technical, Academic, Research and Projects Committee and Member of Finance Committee.
WORK EXPERIENCE: Professional, Certified Prince 2 with 14 years wide private sector experience in the program management and diverse expertise in banking and leadership.Ms. Joyce N. Katringe retired from the Council on 9-3-2020 & was reappointed as a Member of the Council on 10-3-2020
Council Member and Chairman of Finance, Human Resource and Administration Committee
Mr. Ibrahim M. MutembeiLLB Hon (UON), MA (Moi), DIP Law (KSL) DIP DBM (UON), CPA Part One.
POSITION/KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: Chairman of Finance, Human Resource and Administration Committee and Member of JOOUTES Board
WORK EXPERIENCE: Member of the Law Society of Kenya (LSK); a Managing Partner with Hassan Mutembei and Co. Advocates, Vice Chairman of Communications and Multimedia Appeals Tribunal; the Chairman of Finance, Human Resource and Administration Committee at JOOUST. Served as Chairman of Nyeri County Land Management board (NLC). Has worked as a former senior Accounts Administrator with Crown Paints (k) Limited. Serving as a Managing Director with Timhomes Limited for over 10 years.Mr. Ibrahim M. Mutembei retired from the Council on 9-3-2020 & was reappointed as a Member of the Council on 10-3-2020
Dr. Jonah K. KangogoACAMS, ACI, MCSI, BEd (Hons) (Moi University), EMBA, MSc, PhD (JKUAT)
PPOSITION/KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: Member- Audit, Risk and Governance Committee.
WORK EXPERIENCE: Dr. Kangogo is a banker with expertise in Corporate Governance, Regulatory Compliance, Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Pensions Management, Operational Risk and Business re-engineering. He has been a lecturer in risk management and procurement at the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture & Technology (JKUAT) and Africa Nazarene University (ANU). His banking experience spans over 19 years and focused mainly on risk management roles. Dr. Jonah K. Kangogo was the acting Chair to the University Council during the financial year from 23rd August 2021 to 30th June 2022.Dr. Jonah K. Kangogo retired from the Council on 9-3-2020 & was reappointed as a Member of the Council on 10-3-2020
CPA Micah Origa
B.Com, MBA (Calicut University) MSC-Finance (UoN), CPA (K)
POSITION/KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: A member of Finance, Technical and Audit Committees of Council.
WORK EXPERIENCE: He has wide professional and work experience in the Public Sector stretching over 15 years in Public Finance Management, Public Sector Budgetary Formulation and Management coupled with outstanding corporate governance. Has served in several other Boards.
Alternate Member in the Council to Cabinet Secretary, the National Treasury
Zeth Ouma Omollo
BA (Strategic Management), BED Sc (KU), MBA (UoN), CPA-3, Dip HR, PhD (ongoing, UoN)
POSITION/KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: Member of Audit and Technical Committees of Council.
WORK EXPERIENCE: Management and Human Resource Consultant. A Member of the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) Technical Committees on Human Resource Management, and that of Statistical Tools and Measurement; the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Technical Committee on Human Resource Management and the Institute of Human Resource Management (MIHRM) and the Kenya Institute of Management (MKIM). Is the Executive Director, Vicom Consultants Limited and a Partner at ZET-LAB Consulting. Is a Consultant with the World Bank funded-Kenya Devolution Support Program (KDSP) under the Key Results Areas (KRAs). Is a visiting lecturer, Abidjan Business School (ABSEC), Cote D’Voire. Has wide professional and work experience in both public and private sectors. Keen on: Corporate Governance; Innovation; Knowledge Management; Organizational Performance; Social Entrepreneurship; Education for Sustainable Development; Urban Development; Climate Change; Renewable Energy; Environmental Impact Assessment; Resilience; and International Business.Appointed as a Member of the Council on 10th March 2020
Council Member and Chairperson - Audit, Risk and Governance Committee
Janet Nasimiyu Wekesa
LLB (Moi), PG Dip in Law (KSL), MBA (USIU), Arbitrator’s (Chartered Inst of Arbitrators), CS- Section 4
POSITION/KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: Chairperson - Audit, Risk and Governance Committee
WORK EXPERIENCE: An Advocate of the High Court; a Partner in a Private Law Firm by the name and style of Gazemba Wekesa & Co. Advocates majoring in Commercial, Conveyancing and Consultancy services. Wide experience in the private and public sectors. Has worked with Credit Bank Ltd, a Financial Institution for over Five years as the Head of Legal & Recoveries Department. Is a Board Member at the Advocates Benevolent Association (ABA), the Communication & Multi-Media Appeals Tribunal (CAMAT), Law Society of Kenya (LSK) and International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) and East Africa Law Society (EALS).Appointed as a Member of the Council on 10th March 2020
Dr. Jemimah G. Onsare, Ph.D
LLB (Moi), PG Dip in Law (KSL), MBA (USIU), Arbitrator’s (Chartered Inst of Arbitrators), CS- Section 4
POSITION/KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: Dr. Onsare is the representative of the Principal Secretary, State Department for University Education and Research in the Council.
QUALIFICATIONS: Ph.D. (Applied Microbiology – Antimicrobials)
WORK EXPERIENCE: Dr.Onsare is the Assistant Director Research at the Directorate Research Science and Technology (DRST), State Department of University Education and Research but currently deployed to the National Research Fund as the Ag. Deputy Director Research Grants. She previously served as the Ag. Chief Executive Officer of the National Research Fund for six years.
She has experience in administrative and management of board matters, resource mobilization and management of research grants and has participated in various programmes in within the ST&I sector both at national and international level. She was recently appointed as the Country Focal Point and General Assembly representative to the European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnerships (EDCTP).
She has also served in the boards of National Commission for Science and Technology (NACOSTI) and Kenya National Innovation Agency (KENIA). She is experienced in microbiological research (antimicrobials) and has published research in international research journals of repute.
- The Council shall perform the following functions:
- subject to the provisions of the Act and after consultation with the Senate, make regulations;
- make and approve Statutes for gazettement in accordance with the Act and the Charter;
- determine the method of recruitment, appointment and promotion of all staff of the University;
- advise the Board of Trustees of the Universities Fund on the Maximum differentiated unit cost for the programmes offered;
- recommend for appointment, the Vice Chancellor, Deputy Vice-Chancellors and Principals through a competitive process;
- appoint and determine the terms and conditions of service for all staff of the University;
- confer after receiving a report from the Senate, the title of Emeritus Professor, Visiting Professors, Honorary Professor, Honorary Lecturer or Honorary Fellow;
- approve the budget;
- promote and make financial provisions and facilities for execution of the functions of the University;
- determine, after considering the recommendations of the Senate, all fees payable to the University;
- approve the investment of any money belonging to the University including any unutilized income, in such stocks, funds, fully paid shares or securities as Council may from time to time deem fit, in accordance with the general law for the investment of trust moneys or in the purchase of freehold or leasehold properties, including rents and subject to the Act with the powers of varying such investment from time to time by sale or re-investment or otherwise;
- subject to the laid down government procedures to approve sale, purchase, exchange, lease, or take on, lease movable and immovable property on behalf of the University;
- subject to the laid down government procedures, to approve the borrowing of money on behalf of the university; and for that purpose and subject to the Act, to mortgage or charge all or any part of the property unless the conditions of the property so held provide otherwise, and to give such other security whether upon movable and immovable property or otherwise as the Council may deem fit;
- on the recommendation of the Senate provide in accordance with the Statutes, for the creation of new divisions, faculties, schools, institutes, departments, centers or other bodies of learning, research and production in the University, whether formed by the sub-division of any one or more than one of any such new body or otherwise, and for the abolition from time to time of any such body, and to approve the establishment, abolition or subdivision of any such body however so described;
- institute on the recommendation of the Senate fellowships, scholarships, studentships, exhibitions, bursaries, prizes and other aids to study and research;
- approve the terms and conditions upon which internal and external examiners shall be appointed by the Senate;
- empower committees to act jointly with any Committees appointed by the Senate, provided that the Council shall not delegate to the Chairman or to a Committee the powers to approve without further reference to the Council the annual estimates of expenditure;
- approve regulations governing the conduct and discipline of the students of the University;
- receive, on behalf of the University, donations, endowments, gifts, grants or other moneys and make legitimate disbursements wherefrom;
- approve the constitution of the Students Organization and so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure that the Students’ Organization operates in a fair and democratic manner and is accountable for its finances;
- provide for the welfare of the staff and students of the University;
- approve regulations governing the recruitment, conduct and discipline of the staff of the University;
- approve strategies, policies, the management criteria and plans of the University as well as monitor and evaluate their implementation;
- constantly review the viability and financial sustainability of the University at least once every year;
- ensure that the University complies with all the relevant laws, regulations, governance practices, accounting and auditing standards; and perform such other duties as may be contained in the Statutes and may have such other powers as contained in the Act.
- Chairperson - to be nominated by Council;
- Five (5) CouncilMembers;
- Principal Secretary in the Ministry for the time being responsible for University Education;
- Principal Secretary in the Ministry for the time being responsible for Finance; and
- Vice-Chancellor - ex-officio - Secretary.