Prof. Isaiah IC Wakindiki
PhD Soil Science, MSc Soil Science, BSc Agriculture Honours, Post Graduate Diploma in Higher Education and Training and Advanced Certificate in Fertigation. Professor Isaiah Wakindiki is a registered professional natural scientist and a C3 NRF (South Africa)-rated scientist. He is currently the Director of Research Innovation and Development at Tharaka Honeybee Products (K) Limited and a Professor Extraordinaire at the University of South Africa (UNISA). Professor Wakindiki is a member of the Team of Experts spearheading the Building Bridges Initiative. Previously he was the Research Professor at the University of Venda, Research Team Manager for natural resources at the Agricultural Research Council, Professor and Head of Agronomy Department at the university of Fort Hare in South Africa. He also served for many years as Senior lecturer at Egerton University, Kenyatta University, and the Kenya Polytechnic.
Appointed Chairman of the Council on 10th March 2020
Vice –Chancellor and Secretary
Prof. Stephen Gaya Agong
BSc, MSc, (UoN), PhD (Giessen), Post Doc (Hannover; Okayama), FAAS
Professor of Horticulture with wide experience in University Management and Leadership spanning over 32 years in different Universities and International organizations. He is an academic of high standing with over 100 scientific publications in refereed journals. A fellow of the Africa Academy of Sciences and Matsume (Japan).
Academic and administrative head of the University & Secretary to the Council
Chairperson, Technical, Academic, Research and Projects Committee
Ms. Joyce N. Karinge
B.Ed. (KU), MBA (ANU), MSP Professional, Certified Prince 2 with 14 years wide private sector experience in the program management and diverse expertise in banking and leadership.Ms. Joyce N. Katringe retired from the Council on 9-3-2020 & was reappointed as a Member of the Council on 10-3-2020
Chairman of Finance, Human Resource and Administration Committee
Mr. Ibrahim M. MutembeiLLB Hon (UON), MA (Moi), DIP Law (KSL) DIP DBM (UON), CPA Part One.
Member of the Law Society of Kenya (LSK); a Managing Partner with Hassan Mutembei and Co. Advocates, Vice Chairman of Communications and Multimedia Appeals Tribunal; the Chairman of Finance, Human Resource and Administration Committee at JOOUST. Served as Chairman of Nyeri County Land Management board (NLC). Has worked as a former senior Accounts Administrator with Crown Paints (k) Limited. Serving as a Managing Director with Timhomes Limited for over 10 years.Mr. Ibrahim M. Mutembei retired from the Council on 9-3-2020 & was reappointed as a Member of the Council on 10-3-2020
Chairman, Audit, Risk and Governance Committee
Dr. Jonah K. Kangogo
Dr. Kangogo is a risk management professional with expertise in Corporate Governance, Regulatory Compliance, Anti-Money Laundering (AML), pensions management, Operational Risk and Business re-engineering. He has over 19 years’ experience in the banking sector most of which have been in risk management functions. His doctor of philosophy (PhD) degree is in Supply Chain Management. He has a Master of Science in Procurement and several international certifications in financial services.Dr. Jonah K. Kangogo retired from the Council on 9-3-2020 & was reappointed as a Member of the Council on 10-3-2020
Mr. Micah Origa
B.Com, MBA (Calicut University) MSC-Finance (UoN), CPA (K)
He has wide professional and work experience in the Public Sector stretching over 15 years in Public Finance Management, Public Sector Budgetary Formulation and Management coupled with outstanding corporate governance. Has served in several other Boards.
Alternate Member in the Council to Cabinet Secretary, the National Treasury
Zeth Ouma Omollo
BA (Strategic Management), BED Sc (KU), MBA (UoN), CPA-3, Dip HR, PhD (ongoing, UoN)
Management and Human Resource Consultant. A Member of the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) Technical Committees on Human Resource Management, and that of Statistical Tools and Measurement; the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Technical Committee on Human Resource Management and the Institute of Human Resource Management (MIHRM) and the Kenya Institute of Management (MKIM). Is the Executive Director, Vicom Consultants Limited and a Partner at ZET-LAB Consulting. Is a Consultant with the World Bank funded-Kenya Devolution Support Program (KDSP) under the Key Results Areas (KRAs). Is a visiting lecturer, Abidjan Business School (ABSEC), Cote D’Voire. Has wide professional and work experience in both public and private sectors. Keen on: Corporate Governance; Innovation; Knowledge Management; Organizational Performance; Social Entrepreneurship; Education for Sustainable Development; Urban Development; Climate Change; Renewable Energy; Environmental Impact Assessment; Resilience; and International Business.Appointed as a Member of the Council on 10th March 2020
Janet Nasimiyu Wekesa
LLB (Moi), PG Dip in Law (KSL), MBA (USIU), Arbitrator’s (Chartered Inst of Arbitrators), CS- Section 4.
I am an Advocate of the High Court; a Partner in a Private Law Firm by the name and style of Gazemba Wekesa & Co. Advocates majoring in Commercial, Conveyancing and Consultancy services. Wide experience in the private and public sectors. Has worked with Credit Bank Ltd, a Financial Institution for over Five years as the Head of Legal & Recoveries Department. Is a Board Member at the Advocates Benevolent Association (ABA), the Communication & Multi-Media Appeals Tribunal (CAMAT), Law Society of Kenya (LSK) and International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) and East Africa Law Society (EALS).Appointed as a Member of the Council on 10th March 2020
BCom (UoN), MBA-Finance (Mastritch), Dip Financial Management,
Serves as a Board Member at the University of Nairobi. He has previously worked as Chief Finance Officer at State House Nairobi, Ministry of Finance and Planning and Ministry of Health. He has worked as project liaison administrative officer for International Fund for Agriculture development (IFAD).
Joined the Council on 10th February 2020 as the Representative of Principal Secretary, State Department for university Education and Research
- The Council shall perform the following functions:
- subject to the provisions of the Act and after consultation with the Senate, make regulations;
- make and approve Statutes for gazettement in accordance with the Act and the Charter;
- determine the method of recruitment, appointment and promotion of all staff of the University;
- advise the Board of Trustees of the Universities Fund on the Maximum differentiated unit cost for the programmes offered;
- recommend for appointment, the Vice Chancellor, Deputy Vice-Chancellors and Principals through a competitive process;
- appoint and determine the terms and conditions of service for all staff of the University;
- confer after receiving a report from the Senate, the title of Emeritus Professor, Visiting Professors, Honorary Professor, Honorary Lecturer or Honorary Fellow;
- approve the budget;
- promote and make financial provisions and facilities for execution of the functions of the University;
- determine, after considering the recommendations of the Senate, all fees payable to the University;
- approve the investment of any money belonging to the University including any unutilized income, in such stocks, funds, fully paid shares or securities as Council may from time to time deem fit, in accordance with the general law for the investment of trust moneys or in the purchase of freehold or leasehold properties, including rents and subject to the Act with the powers of varying such investment from time to time by sale or re-investment or otherwise;
- subject to the laid down government procedures to approve sale, purchase, exchange, lease, or take on, lease movable and immovable property on behalf of the University;
- subject to the laid down government procedures, to approve the borrowing of money on behalf of the university; and for that purpose and subject to the Act, to mortgage or charge all or any part of the property unless the conditions of the property so held provide otherwise, and to give such other security whether upon movable and immovable property or otherwise as the Council may deem fit;
- on the recommendation of the Senate provide in accordance with the Statutes, for the creation of new divisions, faculties, schools, institutes, departments, centers or other bodies of learning, research and production in the University, whether formed by the sub-division of any one or more than one of any such new body or otherwise, and for the abolition from time to time of any such body, and to approve the establishment, abolition or subdivision of any such body however so described;
- institute on the recommendation of the Senate fellowships, scholarships, studentships, exhibitions, bursaries, prizes and other aids to study and research;
- approve the terms and conditions upon which internal and external examiners shall be appointed by the Senate;
- empower committees to act jointly with any Committees appointed by the Senate, provided that the Council shall not delegate to the Chairman or to a Committee the powers to approve without further reference to the Council the annual estimates of expenditure;
- approve regulations governing the conduct and discipline of the students of the University;
- receive, on behalf of the University, donations, endowments, gifts, grants or other moneys and make legitimate disbursements wherefrom;
- approve the constitution of the Students Organization and so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure that the Students’ Organization operates in a fair and democratic manner and is accountable for its finances;
- provide for the welfare of the staff and students of the University;
- approve regulations governing the recruitment, conduct and discipline of the staff of the University;
- approve strategies, policies, the management criteria and plans of the University as well as monitor and evaluate their implementation;
- constantly review the viability and financial sustainability of the University at least once every year;
- ensure that the University complies with all the relevant laws, regulations, governance practices, accounting and auditing standards; and perform such other duties as may be contained in the Statutes and may have such other powers as contained in the Act.
- Chairperson - to be nominated by Council;
- Five (5) CouncilMembers;
- Principal Secretary in the Ministry for the time being responsible for University Education;
- Principal Secretary in the Ministry for the time being responsible for Finance; and
- Vice-Chancellor - ex-officio - Secretary.